Saturday, May 28, 2011

Dandelions Can Grow Two Feet Tall!

Really Tall Dandelion 2

I think we have all read in the Handbook of Nature Study that the dandelion can grow to be two feet or more in height. I had never seen a dandelion that tall but I took her word for it (page 532 in the HNS in the dandelion section).

Today, I saw a dandelion that was more than two feet tall! The photo above show the plant we found alongside our walking trail. I am holding the stem up with the blossom on top.....Kona wanted to be in the photo too. Yes, it was cold enough for a flannel shirt and it did sprinkle on us as we walked. I had on my new Keens though....Keen Newport Sandal (gargoyle and sap green).


Dandelions

Here are the blossoms up close.

Dandelion leaves

I took a photo of the leaves at the base so you can see that it is indeed a dandelion.

Purple Vetch

The purple vetch is really taking over the sides of the trail...my favorite color so beautiful and happy.

Purple Vetch and Little Yellow Flowers

It makes me happy anyway. The bees were loving it too.

So there you have it....two foot high dandelions!

Barb-Harmony Art Mom