Thursday, December 11, 2008

Moss Walk

This entry more or less shows you what I subject my children to on a nature walk. They are always telling me that I get excited about the funniest things. Well here you go, proof that they are right.

This trail is the one we take all the time and is about three miles from my front door. I view it as my own little nature study laboratory. We have started taking our pup on this hike with us and she is happy that we love nature study since it gives her time to explore a little out in the woods.

This is the view at this time of year with no leaves on the deciduous trees. You can hike all the way down to the bottom of the canyon and be at the American River if you have a couple hours to spare. We have done it before and it is a great hike....just about straight up all the way back though.

We stayed a little later than normal on this particular hike and once again we saw the moon on the horizon as we hiked back up to the car. The cold brisk air in the canyon reminded us that it really is December even though everything is very dry. The mushrooms that we had seen last week on this part of the trail had been rooted out by some animal. Now I want to know who eats that particular mushroom....research to do.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom