Thursday, December 18, 2008

Afternoon Ice on the Trail


This mushroom was pushing out from the side of the trail. I really need to get out my new mushroom field guide and start identifying these fungi.


The leaves on the trail had a frosting of ice and the edges were so perfectly outlined. I wished I could bring one home and save it but I knew that wouldn't work so a photo is the next best thing.


Ice needles were all over the ground making it hard to walk, even in our hiking boots. The spires of ice were like beautiful crystals. My husband thinks this is hoarfrost but I am not sure since it is the first time I have seen this happen in our area.

I found this in the Handbook of Nature Study:
"If the weather during a dewy night becomes very cold, the dew becomes crystallized into hoar frost. The crystals of hoar frost are often very beautiful and are well worth our study."
Page 811

"What happens to the dew if the weather becomes freezing during the night? What is hoar frost? Why should water change form when it is frozen? How many forms of frost crystals can you find on the grass on a frosty morning?"
Page 813
There is always something new to learn about.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom