Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Early Spring Wildflowers (Post 2)


The hillside is beginning to burst open in flowers this week making our daily walk such a feast for the eyes. Everyday now it seems that there is something new to discover.


This unique white flower has me puzzled.
EDIT: Vera helped me out with this one...it is chickweed!

Here is another photo of the plant and its blooms.

The petals are so interesting.


This tiny white flower is blooming right in the middle of the pathway. It is about 1 or 2 inches high at the most. I really need to take my field guide with me and try to identify this one as well.


This one has me stumped....grrrr. I know it has to be something fairly common because I notice along the trail in a couple different of areas. I am going to take a better look today and see if I can figure it out.
Edit: Georgiaberry suggested that this may be Spring Beauty and I am going to check it out today.

Okay, this has been one frustrating post for me. I really want to identify all the flowers this year and so far I have more questions than answers. Maybe I should hire myself a botanist to go on the trail with me and have them teach me all the names of the plants. Wouldn't that be nice?

Expect a garden post soon...our yard is waking up. I read through the pages in the Handbook of Nature Study on plants....wildflowers, weeds, and garden flowers and I made a list of those flowers were are going to study this spring. I will share those plants that we have included and maybe you will like to join us over the next few weeks or whenever you have these particular flowers blooming in your area.

I just had a great idea.....how about since we finished our Winter Wednesday activities, we start a Wednesday Flower Day study? That will hold me accountable to keep up our family's studies and anyone can join us that wants to have a little structure. I will post about it tomorrow.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom