Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Square Foot Gardening-More Information


I have received so much email over the last week about my Square Foot Garden. I am so happy to see that so many of you want to give it a try. I decided that it might help to give you some direction if you are interested in learning more about this type of gardening.

I highly recommend going to your public library and checking out the book by Mel Bartholomew. It will tell you everything you need to know to get started. You can use this method year round so why not get your garden going over the summer?

Here is a video that gives you a brief overview of his methods.

If you are on email subscription, here is the link to YouTube.com.
Introduction to Square Foot Gardening

We started with three boxes and we now have five boxes. Three of the kids have their own boxes and I have two boxes of my own. It really is as easy as Mel says on the video. We are using far less water, far less seeds, and spending far less time in the garden.

We are growing: tomatoes (3 kinds), peppers (3 kinds), zucchini, winter squash, yellow squash, radishes, carrots, onions, green beans, lettuce (four kinds), herbs (basil, chives, oregano, cilantro), and spinach.

Please feel free to email me or leave a comment if you have a specific question.
Barb-Harmony Art Mom