Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Late Spring Wildflowers #2

It truly is amazing that I have been working on documenting the local wildflowers for months now and I am still finding new flowers every day. I did not imagine that this project would become so big that I would be fighting to keep up. Here is the latest batch of wildflowers from our walking trail.


Elegant Brodiaea



A yellow flower that is a mystery.....


Although this is not a wildflower, this grass is so purple-pink that it really is lovely.


Chicory



Yet another yellow mystery flower......
Edit: With Pequete's help, I think we have identified this one as Hypericum formosum or Scouler's St. John's Wort.



Here are some sweet pea vines growing alongside the trail. Brilliant and beautiful.


Not technically a wildflower, but the blackberry bushes are all blossoming in our area. I can't keep track of all the places you can find berries.


Tufted Vetch....when you stop to really look at the vetch it is gorgeous.


Sticky Chinese Houses or Tincture...this is a new one to me and I love it!


Look at the purple details on the blooms.

I love that there are new things to learn about around every corner. My boys are beginning to spot new flowers as we walk along and that makes me very happy. :)

We have taken walks at least once a day for the last week and it feels great to be outdoors so much with the family. We had a picnic today...nothing special, just some sandwiches and drinks but the view of the river was perfect.



We also saw a this young deer that became like a statue when we stopped to take his photo. Look at those ears.

You will have to click the photo to zoom in on the deer.

I think that catches us up for now with the wildflowers. We are on the downhill slide towards summer now so things will change again around here as far as what is blooming.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom