Tuesday, August 1, 2006







Premieres and Premiere Parties


Just came across some neat images with various stars attending premieres and the parties afterward. Douglas Fairbanks Senior and Junior arrive together in what looks to be a mid-thirties shot, but I have no idea what the movie may have been. The Prisoner Of Zenda maybe? Senior observed that Junior’s role in that one (as Rupert Of Hentzau) was absolutely foolproof and would have made a star out of anybody. As it is, Rupert was one of the few murderers to go free at the end of a Code movie. A sequel had been contemplated and the idea was that he’d be punished in the follow-up. Mr. and Mrs. Spencer Tracy are checking their ducats here. I saw a recent picture of Tracy’s son (at an autograph show, I believe) and he was an absolute dead ringer for Spence. Norma Shearer and George Raft were an item when this pic was taken with Hedy Lamarr. As I understand it, Norma and George finally split because George’s wife wouldn’t give him a divorce. Party time sees Hedy with dashing Basil Rathbone and a dancing couple I’m not certain about. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to who they are? Tyrone Power and Annabella are greeted by someone at their table, but again, I’m not sure who that someone is. I do know that’s Priscilla Lane talking with Ronald Reagan. As I recall, Priscilla retired to Connecticut, and as far as I know, was never interviewed during those years. Too bad, as I’d like to have heard her reflections on those days she spent at Warners.