Monday, December 21, 2009

Winter Nature Study: Dread and Apprehension?


"Most of us, I fear, look on winter with some feeling of dread and apprehension."
L.H. Bailey, The Nature-Study Idea, page 164. Written in 1909.
Winter is now officially here and I am anxious to get back to our regular weekly nature study challenges. Having a little focus has changed our way of looking at each season, finding the best of each outdoor experience using a little preparation and then keeping our eyes open.

I think with determination winter can be some of the best nature study times we have as families. I am pulling together some great ideas for all of us to use with our children in the three months to come.

So don't dread the cold and snow but look at it as an opportunity to learn about creation on a different level. The snow makes things so quiet and gives new meaning to the colors we see outdoors during winter.

The reds seem redder and the blues seem bluer.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom

PS If you haven't cast your votes in the current poll on my sidebar, I encourage you to do so now. Thanks so much for your feedback.