Sunday, August 31, 2008

Outdoor Hour Challenge: Challenge #27 Insect Round-Up

I know this week we were supposed to be looking for bees but I have a favor to ask.

I decided that I have far too many unidentified insects and I might as well just post the photos here and let anyone who has any idea what they are, please let me know the names or at least a direction. :)

I am *so happy* that we are finishing up our focus on insects because I get very frustrated with not knowing particular names. I know I should be happy to have had the experience with observing them and also the time to browse through my insect field guide and on the internet. My boys are content with just spotting and observing. I am not content.

Here are the photos:

This one is a shiny blue and there seems to be lots of them crawling in the garden. I find them mostly under the leaves of my green beans and strawberries.

This guy is fairly good size and has a beautiful red splotch on his back.


I know I see these all the time but I don't have any idea what they are called. They are the biggest of the bunch.
EDIT: Bordered Plant Bug or Largus succinctus
(Thanks to Dana!)


This one is sort of like the blue one but still different.


This one has a round body and is really black and blue iridescent.


This one I thought at first was a spider but it only has six legs. The legs and the antennae are striped and he was carrying that black thing as he climbed around on the butterfly bush. He was very fast. (You may need to click the photo to enlarge it.)
EDIT: Some sort of Assassin Bug
(Thanks to Dana!)

Okay, that is my collection of photos that I have yet to identify. As you can tell, I see a lot of insects when I am out watering in the garden.

We didn't see a single bee today when we went outside but the boys knew where to go look so I know they have been observing them in the garden. One son says that he always sees bees in the lavender and the other said he thinks they are always on the butterfly bush. I think just knowing where to look for the bees is valuable. I am not worried....the bees will be back later I am sure.

Thanks in advance,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom