Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Early Fall Garden Photos: Coleus Blooming and some Zinnias

The photos in this entry loaded in a crazy way and I don't feel like fixing them. I am sure you can figure out which photo goes with my description.

My coleus is blooming with delicate purple flowers. It always surprises me when I see it blooming.

We have a new vine planted near our patio chairs and I guess I have not been paying attention because I realized today that it has attached itself quite securely to the back of the chair. I really need to take care of that before someone sits on it.

I am sharing a few photos of my dad's zinnias. They were all volunteers this year and he has been busy transplanting them in neat little rows in front of his house. He is retired. I am sure you figured that out. :)

The zinnias are a gorgeous thing to study. We took a few minutes to examine the structure of the flower and were amazed at the patterns we found. We knew right away that the zinnia was a composite flower like the sunflower, the dahlia, the dandelion, and the black-eyed susan. We could see the ray and the disk flowers very clearly.

We are trying to squeeze in as much outdoor time as we can this month during our break from school. The weather is cooler than it has been and the garden is still calling us to spend some time there.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom