Monday, November 14, 2011

Balmy Autumn

Walking through St James Park yesterday if it wasn't for the leaves on the ground it was hard to believe it is the middle of November and will soon be winter. So far it is turning into the warmest November on record, even some of the plants have been fooled into thinking it is spring and we've had a few spring flowers and an extended season for strawberries.
One of the things you will notice about the English if you spend any amount of time here is that they obsess about the weather. Most conversations will include some comment on the weather at some point. I recently made a comment, that perhaps we wouldn't have a white Xmas this year. I was immediately referred to 'an expert on weather' and specifically to his comments: I am fully expecting a significant and imminent pattern change
"I am fully expecting a significant and imminent pattern change...."
"I really won't have any of this talk about a mild winter, will the people who feel the need to email me every hour of the day trying to convince me otherwise, please stop this?"

What say you? Do you think I'll have a white Xmas?