Thursday, July 14, 2011

Walk the Lines

I've just started reading Walk the Lines by Mark Mason. The book covers his adventurous journey above ground following each of the 11 tube lines, covering 269 stations, 403 miles, 912,384 footsteps, and finishes with a very battered pair of trainers.

He begins this amazing trek with the Victoria line. I thought I'd read this book in a few hours. One chapter in and I realise I'm going to have this book in my bag for months. No, not because I am a slow reader, but because already I can see not only will it be a great read but a wondeful reference book to have on hand on my travels. One chapter of Mark's adventures and already I want to trace his footsteps through places you won't find in any guide book. Better gossip than the red tops (trashy newspapers). History that isn't stuffy. If you want the real London then this book is a 'must read'.


Follow Mark on twitter.