Friday, March 24, 2006

The Choice Of Wake Forest Collegiates?


G.F. Ann has a brother who went to Wake Forest University (then College) during the mid-sixties. A few weeks ago, she borrowed one of his old yearbooks for some reason, and I was flipping through it when I saw this. Now, under ordinary circumstances, I wouldn’t share what most would consider a commonplace relic of long-past schooldaze, but, well --- just look at that 40X60 poster behind those two students. Dr.Goldfoot and The Bikini Machine! Our best and brightest going to see an American-International picture!! Couldn’t they have located a display that might better reflect their academic status and discriminating tastes? A Man For All Seasons must have been playing somewhere. Better to stand in the rain beneath a drive-in marquee featuring Blow-Up and Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? than submit to such indignity as this. You’d think these kids would have considered their futures. What if the selection committee at that medical school got a squint at such a compromising pose? It was OK for an eleven-year old like me to go see Dr.Goldfoot (and I did, too!), but I never dreamed a near grown-up would sit for dross of that sort. But who am I to talk, as I just watched it again a few months ago, and good news, folks, it still holds up! Maybe these two weren’t so misguided after all.