Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Summer Series Preparation: Night Blooming Flowers

As part of the upcoming Summer Series of Outdoor Hour Challenges, you will be looking for night blooming flowers. The challenge will specifically be to read and look for evening primroses but I don't think I have actually seen it growing in our area. More info HERE on the evening primrose.

I took a trip to Home Depot yesterday in search of alternatives and found a few that I wanted to share in case you wanted to plant and grow some night blooming flowers as part of your summer garden. (I found a web page with a nice list of night blooming flowers HERE.)


Night Blooming Flower Seeds
My Home Depot had two seed packets that I thought we could try in our garden.

Moon Flowers-More information on how to grow the moonflower.

Four O'Clocks-More information HERE and HERE.

There is much to learn in our own backyards in the evenings if we make the effort. So many of us have flower and vegetable gardens but perhaps this is this the first time we may consider creating a night blooming garden to observe the creatures that depend on these flowers....just another example of the world we have right outside our back door that we may have not even thought about before.

Please email me if you have any other ideas for plants for this challenge. I am looking into whether the jasmine I have in my yard is considered a night time bloomer.

Edit to add: Several people have asked when the Summer Series ebook is going to be available and when the challenges start. I hope to start selling the ebook on June1st and the first challenge will be posted on the blog on June 18th.


Barb-Harmony Art Mom